The tradition of the novena was established by the apostles when, at Jesus’ direction, they gathered in prayer to await the Holy Spirit in the days from His Ascension, leading up to Pentecost.
ACT OF CONSECRATION TO THE HOLY SPIRIT
On my knees before the great multitude of heavenly witnesses I offer myself, soul and
body, to You, Eternal Spirit of God. I adore the brightness of Your purity, the unerring
keenness of Your justice and the might of Your love. You are the Strength and Light of
my soul. In You I live and move and am. I desire never to grieve You by unfaithfulness
to grace and I pray with all my heart to be kept from the smallest sin against You.
Mercifully guard my every thought and grant that I may always watch for Your light
and listen to Your voice and follow Your gracious inspirations. I cling to You and give
myself to You and ask You by Your compassion to watch over me in my weakness.
Holding the pierced Feet of Jesus and looking at His Five Wounds and trusting in His
Precious Blood and adoring his opened Side and stricken Heart, I implore You,
Adorable Spirit, Helper of my infirmity, so to keep me in Your grace that I may never
sin against You. Give me grace, O Holy Ghost, Spirit of the Father and the Son to say
to You always and everywhere, “Speak, Lord, for Your servant heareth.”
PRAYER FOR THE SEVEN GIFTS OF THE HOLY SPIRIT
Christ Jesus, before ascending into heaven, You promised to send the Holy Spirit to
Your apostles and disciples. Grant that the same Spirit may perfect in our lives the work of Your grace and love.
- the Spirit of Fear Of The Lord that we may be filled with a loving reverence
- the Spirit of Piety that we may find peace and fulfilment in the service of God while
- the Spirit of Fortitude that we may bear our cross with You and, with courage,
overcome the obstacles that interfere with our salvation;
- the Spirit of Knowledge that we may know You and know ourselves and grow in
- the Spirit of Understanding to enlighten our minds with the light of Your truth;
- the Spirit of Counsel that we may choose the surest way of doing Your will, seeking
first the Kingdom;
- Grant us the Spirit of Wisdom that we may aspire to the things that last forever.
Teach us to be Your faithful disciples and animate us in every way with Your Spirit.