- December 2014
Category Archives: Reflections
All parishioners are asked to pray for our church, for the preparation for the Jubilee and to ask Jesus to reveal what they can do to help in the celebrations. This prayer has been written for our parish to support and help us as we prepare over the coming year.
What we celebrate, O God, in the life of this church is yours not ours.
Yours its strength and hope, Yours its faith and its action.
In this Jubilee Year we give thanks for the past and ask you to send your Spirit upon us to rejuvenate us for the future.
Take the strength and weakness of this church, and let both bring its people nearer to you.
Take the excitement and the routine of this church and let both be means by which your work is done.
Now in worship we offer you your own.
Christ be praised!
St Mary of the Angels, pray for us.
Congratulations to all the children who celebrated their First Holy Communion in 2014.
The children were present in a special Mass on 29 June and afterwards they were invited to release a balloon carrying a message of peace.
Last year one of the balloons reached France and the finder responded to the church.
This year all the balloons headed south, carried by a brisk breeze – so maybe one or more will reach France again this year!
Please continue to pray for the children and their families
Also great thanks to all who were involved in leading and running the First Holy Communion program.
As a contribution to our Advent preparations the Justice & Peace group will be putting an Advent Reflection sheet of facts, prayers, information & action ideas in with the new sletter for the 4 weeks leading up to Christmas.
Please take time to read them as each week will have a different theme for you to reflect, pray and act on. These sheets have been prepared by the Shrewsbury J&P Commission.
More copies of the Meaning of Christmas for non-bel ievers are available.
Prisons Week 17th-23rd November 2013 Stand In The Light
The light of the Lord touches all those who call upon his name and turn towards him.
Sometimes that’s all we manage to find the will to do – to turn, to lift our eyes to his light in love and longing.
This Prisons Week we pray for all those affected by prison and who carry heavy burdens of responsibility or loss, that they might turn to the Lord and find restoration and wholeness in him.
Child's Play If you and your friends have children of a similar age, why not consider swapping a couple of their toys, for a month or more?
It will give your children some great new things to play with, at no extra cost to you or the planet. An added bonus is they'll probably enjoy their own toys much more when they get them back. Provided by Friends of the Earth http://www.foe.co.uk/
For 10 minute meditations on daily gospel readings: go on line at http://www.pray-as-you-go.org/
Let us Pray earnestly for the Election of the Next Pope.
O God, eternal Shepherd, who govern your flock with unfailing care, grant in your boundless fatherly love a pastor for your Church who will please you by his holiness and to us show watchful care. Through our Lord Jesus Christ, your Son, who lives and reigns with you in the unity of the H oly Spirit, one God, forever and ever.
We’re celebrating broadcasting 24/7 on the internet for 3 months with special scheduled evenings every Sunday and Monday
We’re very excited by the progress we’ve made in the 3 months we’ve been broadcasting, and we hope you’ve logged on and enjoyed our output.
Our audience is growing daily and we now have listeners in over 80 different countries. We believe our mix of features, prayers, interviews and music which will appeal to a Catholic audience is a winner.
We continue to look for:
- Volunteers to help with the Radio, especially anyone interested in producing programmes – training given, so no experience necessary. However, a good familiarity with computers would be an advantage. Much can be done over the internet, so volunteers needn’t live near Guildford to join our fun team.
- Recorded material you’d like us to broadcast – special Masses, concerts, gigs, plays, poetry readings, etc. Please get in touch; we’d love to hear from you.
- Memories of Lourdes, for a series of programmes we’re making about pilgrimages. Please email us if you want to add your experiences.
Poster for display at http://www.heartgivesuntoheart.net/sites/default/files/documents/HGUHa4-OnAir-5b.pdf .
Thanks again for your support and prayers. God Bless you all!
- Heart Gives Unto Heart Catholic Internet Radio celebrates broadcasting 24/7 for 3 months – with a wide mix of programmes designed to appeal to a Catholic audience. This is a wonderful chance to evangelise our faith and our fantastic team always welcomes more help! Much can be done over the internet so you don’t need to live in Guildford to join us. If you’re interested and would like to learn more visit www.hguh.co.uk or email firstname.lastname@example.org. For up-to-date news follow HGUH Radio on Facebook or twitter.
- A 17-track CD of songs and poems on the theme of peace, produced by Heart Gives Unto Heart Catholic Radio, is now available. £1 from each CD sold will be donated to Pax Christi. Info at www.hguh.co.uk. Info and download order form from: http://heartgivesuntoheart.net/sites/default/files/documents/pdfs/100-days-cd-coupon.jpg
In the Year of Faith which begins shortly, Pope Benedict invites every Catholic to rediscover the gift and the riches of their faith and to seek new ways of proclaiming it.
The year will begin on 11 October 2012, the 50th anniversary of the opening of the Second Vatican Council, and conclude on 24 November 2013, the Solemnity of Our Lord Jesus Christ.
Pope Benedict said, ”This will be a good opportunity to usher the whole Church into a time of particular reflection and rediscovery of the faith.”